Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2007 07:51:20 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Yeske <dyeske@gmail.com>, Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
Subject:   Re: remote binary upgrade from 4.10 to 6.2

--nextPart2267098.ZCt8WDVckK

On Friday 02 November 2007 01:58:34 am Erik Cederstrand wrote:
> David Yeske wrote:
> > I have a lot of appliances in the field running FreeBSD.  These
> > machines do not have a working compiler.  They need to be upgraded
> > from FreeBSD 4.10 to FreeBSD 6.2.  Has anyone gone through this
> > successfully?  Does anyone have pointers on a clean way to do this?
> > Due to the lack of console support for most of these machines, booting
> > from the 6.2 cd will not work.  This has to be a remote binary
> > upgrade.  I need to have FreeBSD 4.10 install FreeBSD 6.2, although
> > this could be done in stages with multiple reboots.  I want to avoid
> > upgrading from FreeBSD 4.10 to 5.5 to 6.2.  It appears that FreeBSD
> > 6.2 runs just fine on UFS1.
>
> First, I should mention that I have not done something like this before.
> However, I think it would help if you could be a little more specific.
> What are the specs of the machine (CPU, RAM, disk)? How remote are they
> (i.e. "next building" or "Greenland")? How many appliances need
> upgrading? Do you control the network they're attached to?
>
> A couple of ideas:
> 1) As you say, the official advice is 4.10 -> 5.5 -> 6.2. You could
> cross-compile the 5.5 world + kernel on a build machine and
> installworld/kernel on the appliance. Reboot, and repeat for 6.2. This
> assumes you have the disk space for the new world/kernel, or that you
> can at least NFS mount a remote /usr/obj.
>
> 2) If you have the disk space, you can create another partition, place a
> complete 6.2 distribution there (compiled on a build machine) and change
> the boot loader to boot the new partition.
>
> 3) If you are able to PXE boot the machine, you could do a network
> install of the appliance.
>
> 4) If you control the network, you could build a kernel with NFS_ROOT
> support so you're independent on the local disk. Wipe the disk and
> install a new distribution there.
>
> 5) Finally, if you have the RAM, you could build a kernel with MFS_ROOT
> support, place a memdisk image on the local disk and proceed as 4)
>
> Erik

Just in case there is any doubt, a remote upgrade from source is more invol=
ved=20
than 4.10 -> 5.5 -> 6.2

The supported upgrade path across major version numbers has always been fro=
m=20
the last release of the old to the first release of the new, and in the 5.x=
=20
era there wasn't a direct upgrade path from 5.0 -> 5.5, you needed to do=20
5.0 -> 5.3 -> 5.5 so your upgrade path from source really is....

4.10 -> 4.11 -> 5.0 -> 5.3 -> 5.5 -> 6.0 -> 6.2

There may be cases where you can skip a step, but then you venture in to th=
e=20
land of unsupported upgrades.

I'm not suggesting you go this route, just giving you more motivation to=20
explore other options!

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel

PGP: 8A48 EF36 5E9F 4EDA 5A8C 11B4 26F9 01F1 27AF AECB