Date:      Tue, 3 Jan 2012 15:57:55 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        "'Garrett Cooper'" <yanegomi@gmail.com>, "'Eitan Adler'" <lists@eitanadler.com>
Subject:   RE: sysinstall as a post-install tool

-sysinstall@ [re-]BCC'd.

ne is
written.

> > My plan would be to:
> >
> > - Restore sysinstall and libodialog
> > - Statically link libodialog and make it specific to sysinstall
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 A rewrite of sysinstall to use libdialog is not worth it. It
> > would
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 be better to just write a new configuration tool at that po=
int.
> > - Remove front end non-configure facing features (ie "upgrade" and
> > installation options)
> > - Remove scripting support from sysinstall
> >
> > Additionally I would agree to
> > - Ensure that sysinstall continues to function as time goes on
> > - Review and test patches to sysinstall
> >
> > What I am not agreeing to:
> > - Rewrite sysinstall
> > - Make a new tool
> >
> > Please follow up to freebsd-sysinstall@
>=20
>     Reviving sysinstall solely for this purpose is probably a big step
backwards
> (especially because it's after 9.0-RELEASE): sysinstall needs to be
permanently
> retired and bsdinstall needs work becoming a more complete tool (FWIW,
> iXsystems has tentatively offered to pick up the maintainership of the
installer so
> that it's properly integrated into pc-sysinstall as we originally intende=
d to
do).
>     So we shouldn't be wasting effort on sysinstall. Please talk to Devin
Teske
> about his 'host-setup' tool first.

Eitan,

Do check out the latest version:
http://druidbsd.sourceforge.net/download/host-setup.txt

Garrett,

Maybe it's time to get host-setup added to the ports tree? Will increase its
visibility at least.

Yeah?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.