Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 18:37:30 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        daniel B <danielb@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH fails to allocate pty

daniel B wrote:

> I just installed shh-1.2.6 on a 3.2-RELEASE machine and it was working
> fine until yesterday when I started getting the error message:
>
> frank sshd[4184]: error: openpty: no such file or directory
> frank sshd[4192]: error: Failed to allocate pty.

Perhaps frank has run out of PTYs, i.e., they're all in use by other
login sessions or xterms. How many does it have, both in the kernel
(`pseudo-device pty' line) and in /dev (`ls -l /dev/tty[p-sP-S]*')? You
can make more devices in /dev with

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV pty0 pty1 pty2 pty3

and so on, up to pty7, this will give you 256 PTYs, but your kernel must
have support for that many if you want to use all of them. I think this
has been changing recently in -current, but I'm not sure of the details,
and you're not using -current anyway.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and