Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 23:37:06 +0200
From:      lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
To:        chris scott <chris.scott@uk.tiscali.com>
Cc:        John Howie <JHowie@msn.com>, admin@gbinetwork.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: roaming ipsec policies and racoon

On Sunday, 2002-07-21 at 19:48:47 +0100, chris scott wrote:
> thanks for all the advice, looks like a much bigger job than I inteneded 8(

I found it a little more complicated than IP-based IPSec, but it
gives you more flexibility. The biggest problem was when I screwed
up with the srever DN. It took a while to find how you can get the
Windows XP client to tell you what it dowsn't like. Typically
Micro$oft.  "Something went wrong, and as a Windows user we assume
you're too stupid to understand what." Grrrr....

Racoon is quite decent, but badly documented. And when I last looked,
it lacked CRL (Certificate Revocation List) support. And I needed
that for my client, so I had to use FreeS/WAN.

Rechecking CRL support, I found this URL:
  http://www.sigsegv.cx/FreeBSD-WIN2K-IPSEC-HOWTO.html
It doesn't say if CRLs work, but it looks helpful for people
wanting to do certificates.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| I have challenged the entire ISO-9000 quality assurance team to a      |