Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 2004 19:49:03 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Cole <cole@opteqint.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vlan Problem/Bug maybe

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 04:54:10PM +0200, Cole wrote:
> Hey
>=20
> I run freebsd 4.9-Stable. And i also use vlans and a program called
> freevrrp for redundancy. For freevrrpd to function, it needs to change
> the ether MAC addresses of the interfaces it is told to use.  I
> found that if i assign it only to a vlan interfaces such as vlan0 or
> whatever, that it changes the ether MAC adddress of it fine.
>
> The problem then, is that no traffic is ever picked up by that
> interface after that. After a few dumps and stuff, i realised that it
> is using the new ether MAC address in the packets it sends out, which
> is now different from the parent NIC's ether MAC address. So somewhere
> along when the responses are sent back, they are not being handed back
> to the Vlan device.
>
> As soon as i changed the NIC's ether MAC address to match that of the
> new vlan ether MAC address, everything works fine again. Now this isnt
> really a feasible option.
>
> So i would like to know if there is anyone that could possibly help
> with some sort of patch to the vlan driver if_vlan.c so that when
> it has its ether MAC address updated, it also updates the ether MAC
> address of the parent device.  Ive done a bit of looking and i see
> that somewhere in the vlan_start function inside if_vlan.c the ether
> MAC is being changed there, but i would also like to know how to send
> the new ether MAC address to the parent device driver and have it
> update itself.

Since you would also have to modify all the other vlans, this would be
messy.  Adding multiple MAC support (difficult and probalby expensive
on many NICs) is probably the right solution.  You might be able to get
by by enabling promiscous mode, and possiably hacking the software MAC
filtering code to handle VLANs on a different MAC.  This seems like a
weird thing to want to do.

> If there is a better list to send this too or if anyone could possibly
> help, it would be much appreciated.

I commented on multiple MAC support on -net recently.  That's probalby
the best place to discuss this.

-- Brooks

PGP fingerprint 655D 519C 26A7 82E7 2529 9BF0 5D8E 8BE9 F238 1AD4

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc

--C7zPtVaVf+AK4Oqc--