Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 1996 18:12:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about dependencies

I'm taking my first attempt at making a FreeBSD port, and seem to have
run into a snag.  It's a wimdow manager that is based on fvwm, and uses
some of fvwm's modules, like FvmwWinList or FvwmClean.  I can't figure
out which DEPENDS clause the modules should be listed under.

I don't want to just use DEPENDS, because then it will re-build FVWM
every time anyone installs the port.  Likewise, I can't use the
existance of the fvwm binary to be sure, because it might not have been
installed as a port and thus be missing said modules.  If I use RUN_DEPENDS,
then it does work, but somehow the line :

RUN_DEPENDS=	${PREFIX}/lib/X11/fvwm/FvwmClean:${PORTSDIR}/x11/fvwm

Seems to be kludgey to me.  Is there a more elegant way of achieving this ?

Next question: How do I do a dependency upon a file just existing if it's
not an executable.  RUN_DEPENDS won't work if the existing file is mode
644 for example.  Is there a FILE_DEPENDS variable, or should I try to
hack that into my Makefile for now?

And finally: Assuming this works correctly, I've got a few
more programs I'd like to port.  Should I be concerned about getting a
@freebsd.org address and commit privilidges to avoid bothering someone
else every time a change comes out?  If so, how do I go about it ?

j.