Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:04:45 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <abjenkins@attbi.com>
To:        Rob Hughes <rob@robhughes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current (DP1) on Toshiba 5005

Rob Hughes wrote:

>All,
>
>I have a Toshiba 5005-S504 laptop (a wonderful legacy-free box that's
>I've cussed to no end) that I'm trying to get DP1 to boot on so I can
>cvsup and take a look (and hopefully contribute something). I was able
>to install, but after installation the system soft hangs after
>displaying a message about CPU power states (sorry, going off memory for
>now). I'm able to break to the debugger, so what information from dbg
>would be helpful at this point? Also, I'm pretty sure it's acpi that's
>causing the problem, so would someone point me to the syntax for
>disabling a module preload?
>
>Thanks,
>Rob

I was tracking down a similar hang and had to disable acpi (turns out
I'm an idiot and the apparent hang at boot was because I forgot console
was redirected to the serial port of the machine next to it), but I had
to jump through hoops to do it it seems.  I believe all you have to do
is 'unset acpi_load' at the boot loader prompt.  I had tried 'set
acpi_load=NO', and finally 'unset module_path' to keep the kernel from
finding /boot/kernel/acpi.ko.

Hope this helps,
Anthony Jenkins