Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:37:01 +0000 (UTC)
From:      jb <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

Brett Glass <brett <at> lariat.net> writes:

> Just checking in, yet again, to ask about the status of FreeBSD
> 9.1. We've been delaying construction of new servers (which we
> wanted to build during the US Thanksgiving holiday) until the
> release, and really want to be able to work on them over Christmas.
> I understand that the release was held back by server security
> issues and possibly by problems with CLANG's failure to emulate
> obscure quirks of GCC; are these now resolved? Is there anything
> else on the "TODO" list (the version on the Wiki is of no help;
> it's woefully out of date) to be done prior to release? Does the
> FreeBSD project need a fresh server to be donated to handle the release?
>
> --Brett Glass

A few days ago I installed 9.0 and tested twice:
- updating security/errata
- updating ports tree with portsnap
- setting up the system for Linux, Java, browsers (as in Handbook)
- and then from ports to make work the usual suspects: cdrecord, smartmontools
It all seems to be OK until, after many subsequent ports tree updates,
I decided to update xterm, vlc, xfce, pan from ports.
If I managed to update some of them, then it seemed the dependencies hell
or something else started to take effect and I could not finish building them
because they were dying with errors.
I have done such an exercise in the past many times and I never failed to
bring my system to a stable state.
Only after this security compromise, time wise, things were so unstable.
I understand that releng people will build all packages once more right before
9.1 release, but perhaps caution is warranted - would 9.1-RC4 make sense ?
jb