Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 21:59:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Microsoft brainrot (was: r-cmds and DNS and /etc/host.conf)

I recently blathered:
 % I've been developing the prototype for the next generation of my
 % embedded web server on FreeBSD ;^) where it is working pretty well.
 % I'm willing to throw this in, if I can convince you (all-inclusive
 % you here) that it will be sufficiently secure.  I can think of a
 % couple of ways to insure this, but it won't be completely painless.

Mike Smith writes:
 > How do you feel about adding source-IP-based access control?  That and
 > a local sshd in port-forwarding mode would just about do it.

The existing version already has a limited form of IP src access
control.  I'd be happy to extend it in reasonable ways; this is
something the product as a whole needs anyhow.

I'm not terribly familiar with sshd port-forwarding mode, and we would
have to determine if there are browser issues, but I'm always willing to
learn.

 % I believe most security-enabled broswers support SSL communications for
 % "secure" documents.  They also support extended, and *extenable*
 % authentication protocols, a number of which might be acceptable in
 % conjunction with SSL.

 > SSL is, AFAIK, subject to certain undesirable licensing conditions (not
 > exportable, not available for commercial use, etc.) which may render it
 > unsuitable.

Gurk.  How do the commercial server vendors do this?  You know, IIS and
Netscape Commerce Server, etc.?

 % The part I'm not certain of is the interaction with Lynx, which I
 % feel is a necessity for our situation.  Another need is a simple
 % local communications path, so we can use Lynx to setup the machine
 % via the console, VGA or serial.  Perhaps a UNIX-domain socket would
 % suffice, or even a FIFO.

 > What's wrong with an ordinary socket talking to the loopback address?

Fine, once you have a loopback address.  I'm still wondering how early
in the installation process we'll be switching to this tool.  If you
haven't yet configured *any* network interfaces, a UNIX-domain socket
created by the server is a pretty sure communications channel.  Late
enough in the installation, a loopback TCP socket would be no problem.