Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:00:37 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 4.2

> Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:25:26 -0500
> From: stan <stanb@awod.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 09:31:47AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > From: Mike Murphree <w4lna@knology.net>
> > > Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 06:32:34 -0600
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

> > > The port was at 4.2.0 shortly before the release of FreeBSD 4.5 and
> > > it was rolled back to 4.1.9 because of insufficient testing time before the
> > > release.  It has never been put back...
> > >
> > > I've been running 4.2.0 since that time with zero problems.
> >
> > This is not why the 4.2 port was pulled. The main reason was that
> > XF86-4.2 was added to the ports just prior to the release of FreeBSD
> > 4.5. It was felt that it was unwise to include a new release of
> > XFree86 that was largely untested in a new release of FreeBSD, so the
> > port was pulled.
> >
> > At the same time it was decided that it was a good time to convert
> > XFree86 from a port to a meta-port. This has been under discussion for
> > some time and the 4.2 release looked like a good time to cut over. So
> > the 4.2 port appeared and disappeared from the tree, but is still
> > available and works fine.
> >
> > (If you don't know what a meta-port is, look at /usr/ports/x11/gnome/Makefile.)
>
> So what are teh _advantegse_ of a metaport?
>
> O'm dealing with on _disdvantage_ at the moment. For reasons involving
> my own stupidity, I find myself with a broken Gnome installlation even
> though the ports db thinks it' fine. But since it's a metaport, I can't
> just do "portupgrade -f gnome" :-(
>
> Must be a positive side to this, right? Otherwise you could just install
> all of it with a trivial shell loop over the various appropriate
> directories in the ports tree.

Hmm. You have hit on the problem with meta-ports. I don't install the
gnome meta-port for just that reason. But a meta-port is a good thing
because it allows a bunch of ports that "go together" to be easily
installed.

In you case the only good solutions are to either delete all of the
ports in the meta-port and then re-install it or to do a portupgrade -f
on each of the dependent ports. At least it's easy to spot them in the
Makefile for gnome.

In the case of X (and not too different from Gnome) you have a very
large port that can take a VERY long time to build and install. But
normally there is no really reason to rebuild the whole thing. Better to
just update the part that actually changed. So the trick is to set up
a meta-port. This allows the easy installation of XF86-4 but it only
required that you update the pieces that have changed and not the
whole monster. If the server is patched, the installation of clients,
libraries, and fonts is a total waste of time.

When XF86-4.2 is available as a meta-port I will probably not install
it. I will remove the existing XFree86 and look at the Makefile and
simply do a portinstall on each of the dependencies in the port.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)