Date:      Thu, 11 Jun 2015 00:10:01 -0700
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>,  "freebsd-testing@freebsd.org" <freebsd-testing@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: compiling parts of kernel in userland

On Jun 10, 2015 11:57 PM, "Garrett Cooper" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2015, at 23:56, K. Macy <kmacy@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Jun 10, 2015 11:53 PM, "Garrett Cooper" <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > > (Adding -testing because this pertains to testing)

> > > If I had enough time and interest I=E2=80=99d look at investing my ef=
forts in
porting RUMP from NetBSD to FreeBSD and going about it that route, but I=E2=
=80=99m
busy with other efforts so I can=E2=80=99t dedicate my time here yet. It se=
ems like
RUMP is the direction we should be going in=E2=80=A6

> > I looked at that first before starting a predecessor to uinet. You'll
just have to trust me: no, it's not.

> Why/how is it deficient?

It's a horrible unmaintainable steaming pile. There are of course no
objective metrics for such a statement without my wasting hours to go back
and look through it to come up with a comprehensive explanation. So I
imagine you'll want to debate this endlessly. Before you push this any
further, download RUMP and just make it *compile* with FreeBSD sources. And
at least when I was looking there was no thought given to device
passthrough.

At least the rubbish that is COMPAT_MACH they had the sense to put in
Attic. I effectively ended up starting over again with OSFMK sources.
Speaking from experience on many "science projects", one "science project"
doesn't necessarily make a good foundation for another.

-K