Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:06:14 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bugzilla? (was Re: Okay, I think I need some serious introduction ;-)

## Redirected to bugbusters, the PR handling team.
## Please honor the Mail-Followup-To and Reply-To headers.

On 2003-02-11 10:28, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com> wrote:
> How about putting "policies" in the PR Guidelines something like this:
>
>     PRs older than 2 years shall be marked "suspended", where "older" is
>     measured from the last PR log activity which a committer deems to
>     indicate that the PR might still be valid for any OS version.
>
> (This allows PRs to be "refreshed".)
>
>     PRs older than 4 years shall be marked "closed" if 10 minutes of
>     research by a committer does not convince him that any of the PR's
>     problems is, more likely than not, a problem in a recent release,
>     where "older" is measured from the creation date of the PR.

Interesting stuff.  I've been toying around with the idea of an
automated ``close and send a gentle reply to the originator'' script
for feedback PRs that are more than 3-4 months old and no activity has
appeared in the audit trail since the last transition to feedback.
If 3-4 months seems too short, we can change it to 1 year or more.

The reasoning behind an automated close of the PR is that if the
originator of the PR has falled off the face of the earth, lost net
connectivity and nobody else picked up the problem report, then it's
probably something nobody cares about so we shouldn't waste time on it.

Then all it would take for PRs to slowly rot and close would be that
committers set the already open PRs to the feedback state if they seem
to be too old to be relevant to current and supported releases.  Does
this look any good as an idea?

- Giorgos