Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 1997 12:46:39 +1100 (EST)
From:      proff@suburbia.net
To:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mmap() updates...how often?

> is done, it can go to the next frame.  The problem with that is that the
> server is currently able to write 20+frames/sec to the MMAP'd region...what
> sort of slowdown can I expect if I have 1000 open sockets that each have to
> have that control data written to, sequentially?

Why not just put them all in the same process group, and send the process
group a SIGUSR1 when new data is ready in the mmaped region?

This will both inform the processes and wake them up at the same time.
Further, if you make your handler just inc a volatile variable, then
your main routine can work out how many frames its missed.

Cheers,
Julian.