Date:      Sun, 5 Apr 1998 13:54:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        frank@our.domaintje.com (Frank Ederveen)
Cc:        tcobb@staff.circle.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdate for 2.2.6?

Frank Ederveen said:

>   Are there softupdate patches available for 2.2.6?
> Not yet I think, but I'm checking my mail every few minutes
> because I hope to find an announcement of softupdates and/or
> CAM for 2.2.. There are some machines here that could really
> use it (newsservers with7 or so disks).
>
> Would development improve if I were to send some good bottles
> of beer somewhere?

The softupdates are intrusive enough that a new port would likely
be needed to 2.2.X.  FreeBSD has alot of pitfalls in the area
where the softupdates code resides, and when I work on it (maybe
once every few weeks), I find something else "new."  It seems
that others find the same kind of thing.  The problem
isn't with the softupdates codebase that Kirk did, but the
slight differences between FreeBSD and BSD.

So, if you think that alcohol is going to motivate, make sure
that you send the alcohol out after it is done, and not before. :-).
Seems to me that someone consuming alcohol would have "interesting"
effects on the system, while trying to port softupdates :-).