Date:      Mon, 05 Jan 2015 20:14:39 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-mips@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mips@freebsd.org>, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: interrupt muxes, bus memory space and other fun amusing things

On Mon, 2015-01-05 at 20:10 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Jan 5, 2015, at 1:31 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >=20
> > On 5 January 2015 at 08:41, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
> >>=20
> >>=20
> >> Same way. You=A2d create an interrupt device that registers an inter=
rupt
> >> for the mux, then farms it out based on the contents of the register=
s.
> >> The MIPS interrupt handler might need some work (arm did) to
> >> allow this to happen, but it isn=A2t super difficult (though IIRc it=
 is tedious).
> >=20
> > Ok. So I can do that, but then devices hang off of which bus? nexus0?
> > Or this mux?
> >=20
> > Can I create a mux bus to hang things off of that just pass all the
> > memory region requests up to the parent bus (nexus in this case) ?
>=20
> The hard part is mapping an interrupt provided by a mux to a resource
> number. However, we already do this for the =A1hard wired=A2 interrupts
> that are muxed through APIC or PIC controllers on x86. I fail to see ho=
> this is any different, apart (perhaps) from the need to do things dynam=
ically
> in some way.
>=20
> Warner
>=20

It sounds like mips is ready for intrng.  Which would then give us ppc,
arm, and mips all with a conceptually-similar intrng-like layer for
handling non-hierarchical interrupt sources and controllers and mapping
between rman and hardware ideas of interrupt number.  Hmmm.  This would
be the time to argue for a nice shiny new MI intrng implementation...
except that we can't quite drive even the arm-only version to
completion.

-- Ian