Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 11:23:35 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bruce vandalism again

John Birrell  <jb@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au> wrote:

> If the use of the __P macro in new code is discouraged, then FreeBSD
> is not trying to keep K&R compatibility (like NetBSD insists on). So
> we are *encouraging* ANSI prototypes. Then (IMO) code that is being
> edited (for other reasons) should have its function definitions
> changed to ANSI style at the same time, regardless of how much code
> is regarded as new according to this silly statement.

I'm all in favor of new-style definitions, but wouldn't bless the
above sentence completely.

If someone's doing a major overhaul, then yes, by all means.  If ``is
being edited'' means just a single change (perhaps only fixing a
typo), moving the entire file to new-style function calls would just
and only obfuscate the actual change that has been performed by the
commit next time you run `cvs diff' on it again.

The `style compatibility' issue has one point: you can look at the
actual functional changes by comparing against the 4.4BSD vendor
branch.  If someone's going to break this by basically rewriting an
entire driver/subsystem/whatever, then this becomes a non-issue
anyway, and other cosmetic changes could be done by the same time (but
preferrably in a second commit, so the functional and the cosmetic
changes can be looked at separately).

--
cheers, J"org