Date:      Tue, 04 Aug 2009 08:24:00 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: is upgrade of devel/lib{tool, tldl}15 to devel/lib{tool, tldl}22 worth it?

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      I see that /usr/ports/UPDATING describes an upgrade of devel/libtool15
> and devel/libtldl15 to devel/libtool22 and devel/libtldl22, respectively.
> Is this a good enough thing to do to justify the probable misery and risk
> of disaster that would be necessary to get through it?

Excessive dramatics aside, the short answer is yes.

The longer answer is that the process described in UPDATING (using
either portupgrade or portmaster) is painless. Also, if you don't do
the update now the next time you try to build a port that requires
libtool you _will_ have pain.

hope this helps,

Doug