Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:20:02 -0800
From:      Derek Kulinski <takeda@takeda.tk>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Atheros card, regression? Layer 8 problem?

Hello Adrian,

So I figured the problem out.

This is how it went. I booted OpenSuSE and couldn't find the device as
well...

At that point I was sure that the problem is with my PC. I decided to
install the card in a PC that is running Windows. After start it
recognized new hardware but I did not have drivers, looking at
hardware information it showed correct values.

I then put back the card to the FreeBSD machine and started SuSE. The
card became correctly recognized by Linux, I booted FreeBSD and the
card was no longer visible (though this time devid value was correct),
switched to Linux and Linux did not see it as well. At that point I
took isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the connection, plugged it back and
FreeBSD is seeing it now.

That card was in that old PC for many years, so probably the
connection oxidized (or maybe just dirt built up - I'm no chemist).

In any case it looks like it was a layer 8 problem after all. I'm
sorry for bugging you.

Thanks,
Derek

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:takeda@takeda.tk

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?