Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 22:40:35 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bt848 driver release 0.3

This is a release which cures system crashes on some systems.
The bug was reported by Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>.

If you are using the Bt848 driver please upgrade your system.

So far the driver has been reported to work with:

STB WinTV
Hauppage's Wincast TV
Smart Video Recorder III

You will need at least FreeBSD-2.2 to use the driver . For sure the
driver does not compile on FreeBSD-2.1 or less systems.

The distibution consists of

1. Bt848 PCI driver. The README file has the contact info for getting
   programming information for the Bt848 chipset.

2. grabber-meteor.cc which is a replacement for vic-2.8's grabber-meteor.c.
   This version will work with a meteor or a bt848 based cards.

3. "dtv" a sample application which displays captured frames directly
   on the vga's display buffer -- you will need a vga card which presents
   a linear frame buffer additionally dtv will only work with XFree86.
   dtv supports color depths of 15bits or 32bits. If you have an S3 968
   check out dtv with a resolution of 640x480 32bits 8)
   If you have a fairly decent monitor you should be able to use your
   FreeBSD box to watch tv . Hmm... I may have to move my monitor to the
   center of my living room . What a drag 8)

  If you are using Xinside's X server, "dtv" will not work for you because
  "dtv" uses the X server extension DGA which is an XFree86 Server extension.

The driver has been tested on a P100 Triton chipset and a PPRO 200MHz
Natoma chipset. My Bt848 based card is the "Intel Smart Video Recorder III"
This is an important distinction given that the whole motivation to writing
the driver was because "vic" with my Matrox Meteor was locking up my PPRO 200 .
After I finished writing the driver, I discovered that by modifying
"vic" to use yuv packed mode does not lock up my PPRO. Apparently,
the Matrox Meteor has problems generating short bursts DMA as required
for generating YUV Planar.

A couple of hackers have reported success with Hauppages's
WinCast/TV which is a Bt848 based video card. WinCast/TV is cheaper
than the Intel card plus it has much better driver support in Win95.

ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/bt848-0.3.tar.gz

	Have fun,
	Amancio