Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 1995 01:57:14 +48000
From:      Sherman F Mui <sfm46728@challenger.atc.fhda.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.0.5 Install w/ QIC-80

Hi,

Basically, my tape drive isn't being detected correctly. Read on if you
may be able to help.

I'm finally upgrading my 1.1.5 system. I've tar'red the distribution
files onto a QIC-80 tape (120meg uncompressed) with my Colorado Jumbo 350.

I boot off the boot.flp floppy I made. The nifty install menu stuff comes
up. I go through all the configuration stuff. My hard drvies are all
"sliced" up. I "commit". The installation program does all the newfs'ing
without any problems. Then it says get your QIC-02 tape ready.

I hit enter and watch the beautiful error message pop up.

Now what?

I didn't see a way of telling the kernel what type of tape drive I had
(btw, it does find the tape drive at bootup "ft0: Colorado tape").

I had the tape in the drive way before bootup. And I even tried to put
the tape in when prompted.

And the drive worked great in FreeBSD 1.1.5R. Except that I couldn't use
the longer tapes (350 meg compressed) ones.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

	Thanks,
	Sherman