Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 2014 22:38:51 -0400
From:      Paul Kraus <paul@kraus-haus.org>
To:        Burton Sampley <bsmply@yahoo.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10.0-R-p7 bind9.9 starting named on boot?

On Aug 23, 2014, at 14:23, Burton Sampley <bsmply@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your help.  I installed bind 9.9 from the ports =
collection (is there any other way???).  The only changes I have made to =
the named.conf file are to add the logging section as you have =
suggested.  To my amazement, after 2 consecutive reboots, named has =
started correctly.  I'm stumped as to why it would not start on boot =
before now, but I will not complain as long as it remains consistent.

I *think* the default logging configuration has any logging going to =
syslog, is it possible that named was trying to start before syslog was =
up and since it could not hand off the log messages it exited ? That is =
my best *guess* as to *how* that logging change can cause the fix.

Note that the logging config I gave you will generate *lots* of logs, so =
either adjust it back or add an /etc/newsyslog.conf entry for it to roll =
the logs.

--
Paul Kraus
paul@kraus-haus.org