Date:      Mon, 5 Jun 2000 17:56:15 -0400
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        David Banning <sky_tracker@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: looking for cdrom that writes for FreeBSD

On Jun 05, David Banning wrote:
> Anyone have one that works - I wonder if simply writing to
> /dev/cdromdevice would work under FreeBSD if I just buy and
> off-the-shelf one.

	I'm guessing you're asking how to write a CDs.  A regular
CD-ROM will not work.  You need a cd-writter (cd-burner,
cd-rewriter,...)  AFAIK, under FreeBSD 4.0, to burn a cd, you don't
jsut write to the device.  You need special software.  This software
is also dependant on the architecture of the CD burner.

	I've had good luck with an HP IDE cd-rom:
acd0: CD-RW <Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8200a> at ata1-master using PIO4
	which uses the FreeBSD included program 'burncd'.

	And a SCSI burner:
cd0: <YAMAHA CRW4260 1.0h> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
	which uses 'cdrecord' to burn.  'cdrecord' is part of the
ports.

	--Mat