Date:      Wed, 28 Sep 2016 09:04:16 +0200
From:      Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ruby@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Feature-Request: pessimistic operator in ports-tree

Aloha,

i'm working quite a while on the ruby-ports and it is often annoying.
Even after excessive testing and some more real-world testing (thanks to
all helpers!) its totally normal, that thinks break.

I found one of the main problems is the pessimistic operator in the
gemspecs/Gemfiles. Buildtests of all dependencies run fine, we commit
the update and than some Gem break, because it defined ~> 1.5.2 and you
just updated to 1.6. In the Makefile >= 1.5.2 says everything is fine.

I personally think most of the rubygem breakage can be prevented by
teaching the ports-tree about the pessimistic operator. It is far easier
to build-test 300 dependencies than to really check if they are able to
start. Or even if they run correctly.

What do you think about this?

Also i believe its not a rubygem only feature. I stumbled across
multiple software which expect an explicit version or an version range
or even disallow a single version and accept all other.

Greetings,
Torsten