Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:07:41 +0800 (GMT+0800)
From:      "Humprey C. Sy" <humprey@linux1.dlsu.edu.ph>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        John Winter <jwinter@ptw.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interested in getting Free BSD

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Doug White wrote:

> > HI I am interested in getting a copy of Free BSD. I am also wondering if
> > Linux is comperable to this program.
>
> In the sense that it's a free UNIX, yes.  In the sense that it's the same
> variant of UNIX (sysV) then no.

I believe FreeBSD is much more "organized" as compared to Linux, with
respect to support, and source code.  Linux may be more popular though,
so this might attest to its satisfactory performance.  In my case, I'd
choose FreeBSD anytime.

> > Which will serve me better if I set
> > up a server.
>
> Let me note that you are asking in the FreeBSD SUPPORT forum..:)
>
> I know of several FreeBSD Web servers (including mine) that are doing an
> excellent job.

The usenix review also pointed out FreeBSD showed the best network
performance.

> > Is your program more easy to
> > set up than Linux?
>
> About as easy.  A group ant Stanford who published a paper for Usenix
> thought that Linux was the easiest to install, then FreeBSD and Solaris x86.

I really feel FreeSD is easier...  Don't know how that report came to
show that result.

- Humprey -