Date:      Fri, 19 May 2017 19:38:14 +0100
From:      Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@fastmail.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: remapping pointer buttons

On Fri, May 19, 2017, at 06:43 PM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2017, at 05:07 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> >
> > See "man moused", especially the -m option. At least for the OS,
> > this is basic functionality which can be configured easily. On X
> > it is more complicated of course. ;-)
>
> thanks! that looks really easy now you've pointed it out... or it will be when i find out where moused is started, which i'm sure i can manage on my own. i like moused's m=n syntax, much less cumbersome than xmodmap or xinput with their lists of numbers.

almost! aaaalmost! i added a line to /etc/rc.conf, unplugged and reconnected my usb mouse, and saw my "-m 8=2" in the output of ps. i thought it was great, until i found it doesn't actually work. in x, button 8 is still button 8.

i could i try using xorg.conf to just make the same mapping in x, but i'd like to just have one authoritative setting. um... brain's gone blank. i need to set a bigger font for the framebuffer anyway; doing that first.

--
Linux? I used ext4 for a few years. In proportion to the time spent using it, I lost as much data to it as I lost to the very worst released version of reiserfs.