Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:53:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      "J.F. Noonan" <jfn@msc.com>
To:        Chris BeHanna <chris@pennasoft.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: when make installkernel doesn't

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003 at 10:44am J.F. Noonan wrote:

> > On Wednesday 29 January 2003 10:15, J.F. Noonan wrote:
> > >

> Yes, you are of course right about that, I think I made this
> mistake once before a long time ago and caused a great mess.  BUT,
> even though I've done this stupid thing, why does "make
> installworld" apparently run to completion (w/o a single peep or
> complaint), but not actually DO anything?  The binaries associated
> with the "make kernel" are all newer than the stuff from "make
> world", so this should look like I'm starting out on a new kernel
> build, no?

Alright, with some clever use of the 'ls' command
(ls -al /kernel* :-) I found that the installed kernel
is the one I built this AM.  And strings /kernel | grep Free
yields: @(#)FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE #3: Wed Jan 29 08:39:31 CST 2003.  Cool.

So my libkvm is presumably stil whacked.  So I do a make clean;
make;make install in /usr/src/lib/libkvm.  Then I go to
/usr/src/bin/ps and do the same series of makes.  Still no go.

I am really stuck now.

Thanks,

--

Joseph F. Noonan