Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:25:24 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: another ufs panic..

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:
>    Nobody in their right mind turns off parity checking on a SCSI bus.

Correct; but plenty of people have gone temporarily insane trying to
diagnose SCSI cabling problems. It's the easiest thing in the world in
extremis to dick around with the controller settings and fail to restore
them afterwards.

Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
>Sounds like it would be useful for the kernel to warn if a SCSI target
>(including the controller) has parity disabled.

Also correct; but I don't see any device-independent way to find out in the
SCSI specs. Few people are going to go poking around in device code pages,
it's the controller settings that are at risk. Maybe the best you can hope
for is to read the controller settings on the host interface in some
controller-dependent way.

--
Bob Bishop		    +44 118 977 4017
rb@gid.co.uk		fax +44 118 989 4254 (0800-1800 UK)