Date:      Sat, 20 Jun 1998 01:53:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dburr@POBoxes.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/7004: sysutils/cdrecord depends on mkisofs, is this necessary?

>Number:         7004
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       sysutils/cdrecord depends on mkisofs, is this necessary?
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE.
Latest 'n greatest ports tree, fresh from CVS.

The port sysutils/cdrecord has a RUN_DEPENDZ on the mkisofs port.
Is this really necessary?

For example, what if the author only wants to burn audio CD's?  He'd then
find no use for mkisofs, but would probably find audio/tosha to be useful.

Or what if the user wnats to master mixed mode or Joliet/HFS cd's?  Then
he'd want "mkhybrid".

Since we now have in effect three "pre-mastering" progrms (two for data,
one for audio), having one of them forced as a 'default' may not be right?

>How-To-Repeat:

try building it :)

>Fix:

Beats me.  How about a pkg/MESSAGE file (and appropriate incantations in the
Makefile to print it out upon 'make install') that basically says eomthing
like this:

// cut here
You have successfully installed the CDrecord port.  However, before you can
do anything useful with it, you will need a program to generate data for it
(either audio data, or a file system).  You will need to install additional
ports/packages for this.  Here are some suggestions:

sysutils/mkisofs - Generates ISO 9660 filesystems, with optional RockRidge
	extensions.
sysutils/mkhybrid - Generates ISO 9660 filesystems, with optional RockRidge
	extensions, Joliet, or HFS filesystems, or a combination of above
	(useful for making "mixed mode" CD's)
audio/tosha - Grabs digital audio data from an audio CD and dumps it onto your
	hard drive.  Using the files it generates, you can burn your own
	audio CD.
// cut here