Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:37:28 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Erich Boleyn <erich@uruk.org>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Eureka (maybe...) (was -> Re: P6 problem idea )

In message <E0vcNbo-0003EK-00@uruk.org>, Erich Boleyn writes:

>I tried shutting off the page global stuff, and while I don't have
>a difinitively long run yet, it has run through 3 full kernel compiles
>with no crash yet.  I'll run it for the next 1 1/2 hours and see if
>it lives through that.  If so, I think we have our main culprit (I'll
>also post the (small) code change which synchronizes the CPUs on TLB
>shootdown before letting the sender continue).

Cool!  Once again proves that thinking about things far removed from
computers also works :-)

>All that said, I'm very surprised that this *isn't* also a serious
>problem on the Pentium (the Pentium has the Page Global stuff as
>well...  I didn't look to see if it is used for the Pentium as well
>as the Pentium Pro).

Now that is an interesting thing.  I wonder if there is some underlying
difference in the global bit, Hmm... The P5 doesn't have a global bit,
does it ?  That would qualify for a "difference" to me :-)

Merry Xmas!

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.