Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2014 21:25:26 -0800
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd@fongaboo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS on Hardware RAID controller

Well, I think the best thing is to config a ZFS server for yourself.

Its one thing to read about it, but another to do it and you would most =
certainly be in a better position to sell ZFS once you know how it works =
through practice.  The web is rich with ZFS info.

I=92m speaking for personal experience.

- aurf

"Janitorial Services"

On Feb 18, 2014, at 7:58 PM, freebsd@fongaboo.com wrote:

>=20
> I was speaking to someone else about this today, and it eventually =
became apparent that we were getting into a sort-of =
Abbott-and-Costello-Who's-on-First confusion... because apparently =
people can mean different things when they use the term 'JBOD'.
>=20
> What I have always meant when I say 'JBOD' is a (not really) RAID mode =
that simply concatenates the drives into one volume in a serial fashion, =
ie. 'spanning'. Most RAID controllers and RAID-enabled NAS units that I =
have interacted with in my life have offered this mode and referred to =
it as 'JBOD'.
>=20
> In this kind of mode, the motherboard and the OS still thinks it sees =
only a single volume. So now I am gathering that this is also not ideal =
for ZFS, since it would still not be aware of multiple physical volumes =
and be unable to optimize accordingly.
>=20
> I'm learning for the first time that sometimes 'JBOD' can also refer =
to each individual drive being mounted separately at least as far as the =
controller and the motherboard is concerned.
>=20
> I just want to confirm 100% that this is how you are recommending =
multiple drives be configured for ZFS. Because when I started the thread =
I was thinking of JBOD as 'spanning'.
>=20
>=20
> FONG
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Tue, 18 Feb 2014, Eitan Adler wrote:
>=20
>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM,  <freebsd@fongaboo.com> wrote:
>>>=20
>>> When we spoke, you noted that when installing ZFS on multiple disks
>>> connected to a hardware RAID controller, it is best to config it to =
JBOD.
>>=20
>> There are a few reasons for this.
>> (a) Hardware RAID serves as a single point of failure: if the
>> contoller dies you have neither disk
>> (b) As Andrew noted , using hardware RAID means that ZFS won't be =
able
>> to tell which disk is which.  The ZFS management tools won't work as
>> expected (they will show only one disk).
>> (c) Since ZFS implements RAID itself it can use knowledge about the
>> physical disks for better performance
>>=20
>> Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS#ZFS_and_hardware_RAID
>>=20
>>> I tried to explain this to a colleague, but they were skeptical. =
Would you