Date:      Sun, 22 Jun 1997 12:57:31 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handbook - ascii form??

Annelise Anderson wrote:

> My point was that users ought not to have to process the handbook
> with tools that they may not have or may not know how to use.  If
> it's such a piece of cake, why not do it and get the results on
> the server?
>
> I may be in danger of losing my sense of humor.  Especially on this
> Saturday night.  :)
>
> What I suspect is that these docs have been sgml'd, html'd, troff'd,
> groff'd, roff'd, and ps'd, and it's no longer possible to produce
> just plain old text.....
>
> Wanted!  Converter to plain text!

You're quite right that an ascii-format copy of the handbook is
needed.

Instructions to generate a handbook in ascii are actually back in
the source tree, though, and have been for some months.  So the
problem really applies only to some already-released versions of
FreeBSD.

If anyone wants an ascii copy, I don't mind generating one from
the sgml sources and sending it along (specify version required).
This is just an offer for the sake of humor, Saturday nights, etc:
I'm not part of the FreeBSD documentation team.

--
Robert Nordier