Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 1998 21:04:02 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fortran conundrum

Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
> essentially 3 opinions:
>  (1) Status quo
>  (2) Upgrade to g77
>  (3) Rip Fortran out of the base distribution.

FWIW, I'd support option 3, with the proviso that Fortran be available
as a `supported' port.  In general, I believe that the base system
should remain as small as practical, with more emphasis on providing
added functionality via ports (or a more finely-grained sysinstall).

The approach used by Solaris is much nicer in principle (although the
total lack of meaningful descriptions on the various packages makes
it useless in practice).

I also don't like the idea of an `it sort-of works' Fortran in the
base distribution, with the side-note that you'll have to install g77
(or whatever) from the ports if you're going to be doing any serious
development.  This reminds me too much of the cc in SunOS 4.x.

I'd prefer to have the option not to install UUCP, groff (unnecessary
if you're installing cat* pages), sendmail, NIS, etc as well.

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:
>It would be desirable to have f77 leave the main tree, but most
>definitely leave the Fortran awareness in the 'gcc' driver program, as
>well as the system Makefiles.
And add stub executables that say `X is not currently available, you can
install it with "pkg_add foo" or "cd /usr/ports/bar/foo; make install"'.

I'm not sure how much fortran awareness is actually coded into gcc.  I
suspect most (if not all) of it is (or could be) in the `specs' file
that it reads on startup.

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au