Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2001 09:41:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   List of things to move from main tree to ports (was Re: Wish List (was: Re: The /usr/bin/games bikeshed again))

:In message <xzp1ysylm2v.fsf@flood.ping.uio.no>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav
:writes:
:> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca> writes:
:> > Rdist was also discussed.  Rdist5, rdist6, and rsync should share the
:> > same status.  Some of us have vendor and FreeBSD systems, use rdist5.
:> > Others use Linux and FreeBSD system, use rdist6.  Others, like myself,
:> > use rsync.  Too bad this discussion just fizzled out with no decision.
:>
:> I wouldn't be sorry to see the r* utilities (rsh, rcp, rmt...)
:> disappear either.
:
:Good idea.  I've advocated removing all non-encrypting services and
:making them ports, like "r" commands, telnet, ftp, etc., because we
:have much better solutions like SSH and apache which are not only more
:secure but firewall friendly, however I won't go there, as it is yet
:another bikeshed that gets too many people upset.
:
:Someone should put together an plan, however that would get mired down
:in the bikeshed syndrome.  (My apologies for the cynicism -- it's been
:a bad year).
:
:Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
:Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766

    Well, lets at least get rid of the ones that don't cause controversy
    (I'd like telnet to stay too.. I use it all the time for debugging
    things like sendmail).

    I agree completely in regards to Kerberos IV.  Nobody in their right
    mind should be using it any more so it should definitely become a port.

    Lets see if we can put together a list of things can be moved to ports
    that is not too controversial:

	* All games except fortune
	* UUCP
	* Kerberos IV

    The more controversial ones:

	* rdist
	* rmt
	* rcp, rlogin, rsh

    Extremely controversial:

	* telnet (i.e. its too useful to have around for other purposes)

    The main issue with removing something like rcp or rsh is that, by
    default, our openssh is not compiled with the 'none' cipher, so it's
    impossible to use it when non-encrypted data content is desired.  Sometimes
    speed is more important then encryption.  (I dont use rcp or rsh myself,
    but while at BEST I had on ocassion needed to use 'ssh -c none' and that
    required recompiling ssh).

						-Matt