Date:      Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:08:42 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Matt Meola <mmeola@uswest.com>, ctm-announce@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: CTM mirrors

On Friday, 20th July 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

>In message <20010720093236.G52514@kc0dxw-2.uswc.uswest.com> Matt Meola writes:
>: Some of us run FreeBSD surruptitiously behind a corporate firewall.  If CTM
>: ever truly goes away, then it's Linux for me, since rpm/urpmi can handle
>: ftp and http proxies...
>
>And cvsup can't?  I've run it through many different firewalls in the
>past, over socks5 proxies and a couple of other strange
>configurations.  I'd be interested to hear how your environment is
>different than mine that you can't run it.

I don't know how common it is, but at my previous employer, nobody got
to tunnel anything.  CTM was essential.  Well, essential if you wanted
the FreeBSD source.  The only other alternative was to download the source
using a browser (since the gateway required basic authentication).  That
was a tedious manual process.

Now that I'm doing all this at home, CTM is much better than cvsup since
it encodes minimal differences (better for my download limit) and is quicker
(cvsup often pauses contemplating its navel for long periods, and also
sends a LOT of upstream data, which takes time).

So, I'd say the main advantages are:

1) Firewall friendly (for our disadvantaged corporate friends)
2) Bandwidth/connection-time friendly (for our disadvantaged home users,
   including me)

Stephen.