Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 23:46:59 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Dave VanAuken" <dave@hawk-systems.com>, "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Firewall vs. Black Ice

My only caution to using a Linksys is that it's remote
manageability sucks.  Yes, I know you can hit them on port 8080
but that's not the point.  There's many instances where
in managing large networks you have to telnet from router to router
to router, because all of the routetables in the routers are
hosed and you can't reach C from A, while you can reach C by
going to A then hopping to B then hopping to C.

I'd suggest that the minimum criteria for any of these sub-$100
routers is the ability to initiate a ping or a telnet session
from the router.  Webinterface configuration may be gee-whiz,
but nothing takes the place of a good command-line that you can
configure the router from.

The last thing, of course is that the LinkSys only speaks
static routes or RIP.  Granted thats not much of an issue
if your just using it as a border/gateway router, but many
people prefer running OSPF internally, and it's very
nice to have your gateway router have the ability to inject
a default route into your OSPF network.