Date:      Sun, 28 Apr 2019 10:23:34 +0200
From:      "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@gmx.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: saving "zfs send" to a Windows host

Anno domini 2019 Sun, 28 Apr 14:50:47 +0700
 Victor Sudakov scripsit:

> > >As a parenthesis=E2=80=A6
> > >
> > >This is =E2=80=98Windows Subsystem for Linux=E2=80=99 (I don=E2=80=99t=
 use it, but I work=20
> > >with some techie Windows folk who have used it and approve, and I=E2=
=80=99ve=20
> > >used it to teach =E2=80=98how to get by on Unix=E2=80=99 classes to fo=
lk including=20
> > >Windows laptop users).
> > >
> > >It=E2=80=99s a bit of a misnomer, in that (as far as I understand thin=
gs)=20
> > >it=E2=80=99s really GNU/Windows, in the sense that =E2=80=98GNU/Linux=
=E2=80=99 is the GNU=20
> > >userland on the Linux kernel.  It=E2=80=99s the majority of an Ubuntu =
(or=20
> > >similar) distro built for the Windows kernel.
> > >
> > >I understand that intimate interaction with device drivers presents=20
> > >occasional problems, and the fact you=E2=80=99re on the only-just-POSI=
X=20
> > >Windows filesystem will occasionally bite you, but apart from that it=
=20
> > >works better than one might anticipate.  If you=E2=80=99re obliged to =
use a=20
> > >Windows 10 machine for some reason, this might be how to do it.
> > >
> > >=E2=80=A6close parenthesis.
> > >
> > >Norman
> >=20
> > I believe if you want to know something, it is best to go straight to
> > the source. I have used Microsoft forums in the past when I need
> > accurate information and not just guesses. I would suggest that the OP
> > start here
> > <https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=3Dwind=
ows10itpro>
> > , find an appropriate forum and post his question. At the very least,
> > someone will direct him to the best place to ask his question.
>=20
> The OP (that was me) humbly asked what can be used to send a zfs stream
> to a Windows host for storage there, because mount_smbfs is not usable
> any more. I was advised to install sshd on Windows.
>=20
> However, if receiving a byte stream from FreeBSD will involve the
> installation of the whole Penguin on Windows, I'd abstain.
>=20
> Maybe I'll find an implementation of dd for Windows, or I'll give up the
> sshd idea (which seemed brilliant at first).
>=20
> And no, the host on the other side of the ssh connection is not even
> Windows 10.
>=20
> If I asked about receiving a zfs stream from Unix on a Windows forum,
> I'd perhaps become a laughing stock.
>=20

Hm .. you might use netcat on windows to receive the bytestream. https://nm=
ap.org/ncat/

fire up ssh to windows, start netcat there, close session. send zfs snapsho=
t to windows with nc, like so:

ssh somebody@windows "ncat -l 9999 -o some-file-for-snapshot" &
zfs .... | nc windows-host 9999

Nik

=2D-=20
Please do not email me anything that you are not comfortable also sharing w=
ith the NSA, CIA ...