Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:32:59 -0800
From:      "D. W. Piper" <dwplists@loop.com>
To:        <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Weird quotas problem - Help needed

I've run into a strange problem trying to use quotas to limit the size
of user web sites, and I could really use some suggestions on what the
problem might be and how to fix it.

The quota -u command shows the correct quota limit for users, but is
showing inaccurate block counts for some users that are over their
limit.  Here's an example:

# quota -u XXXXX
Disk quotas for user XXXXX (uid YYYYY):
  Filesystem blocks quota limit grace files quota limit grace
    /usr/www 12142*   0    7168  none  205    0       0

# du -sk /usr/www/web/XXXXX
5474    /usr/www/web/XXXXX

Needless to say, the quota system is preventing these users from
uploading files to their web site via FTP.

I've already tried rebooting the machine with quotacheck on boot enabled
twice now, the second time being just this morning.  Judging by the
times on the files, the quota.user and quota.group files weren't changed
at all by the quotacheck, and the problem was not resolved.

Can anyone shed some light on what's going on here, and how to resolve
it?

Thanks,

David