Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 17:52:25 +0100
From:      "Didier Wiroth" <didier.wiroth@mcesr.etat.lu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Jail source patching question

Hey,

When you have a security issue or you have to modify the source code of
a daemon, you have to patch the source recompile and install the new
daemon. How do you do that? Let's take an example:

The ssh daemon
I have patched the daemon with:
cd /usr/src/crypto/openssh
diff < /pathtopatch/file.diff

And now, how can I install the new daemon to the host and the different
jails? Would this work (after having applied the patches to the source
code of course) for example for sshd?

Installing at the host first:
1) make
2) make install
I assume that this would work without problems but now up to the jails:
The first jail now:
(We are still in /usr/src/crypto/openssh)
1) make DESTDIR=/jail/first_jail/
2) make DESTDIR=/jail/first_jail/ install

The second jail:
1) make DESTDIR=/jail/second_jail/
2) make DESTDIR=/jail/second_jail/ install

Would this fail and render my ssh daemon unusable, or would this work
and would this work for +/- every daemon?