Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 1997 10:31:11 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        tg@award.de
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK port, anyone ?

> I seem to remember somebody complaining that there was no 'real' JDK-1.1
> available for FreeBSD. As I'm also a little impaired by the lack of a 1.1
> JDK, so I was wondering if somebody was currently working on a port.

Actually, there *is* a JDK1.1 port available for FreeBSD, but not a
latter port.  However, diffs to JDK1.1.2 were just made available, see
the freebsd-java mailing list.

> If not,
> I might volunteer to do one. Oops, accidentally used the 'v' word :-).
> However the usual lack of time, the usual work commitments etc. blah blah
> mean that I would not be able to start before the end of January.

I resemble that remark. :)

> Before I start, I would actually like to get some answers to the following
> questions:
> - Is there any interest for such a port? Considering my usual state of
>   overworkedness, such an undertaking should make sense to more people than
>   just myself. I can *probably* live with using the Linux port.

Of course.  However, the Linux port may work much better now due to
recent bugfixes in the Linuxulator. :)

Sure, check out freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org

> - Other comments and suggestions are welcone, of course.

I'm currently building a JDK1.1.2 port using the patches posted about in
the java mailing list, but it won't be distributable due to Motif
licensing.  I hope to somehow fix that, but it just depends on the
weather.  If it's snows a whole bunch then I'll be outside playing it,
but if the weather is as yucky as it is now over Christmas (40 degrees
and brown) then I'll probably spend more time inside. :(

Nate