Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 1996 09:52:55 +0100
From:      Peter Olsson <pol@leissner.se>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@cdrom.com>, Nate Williams <nate@sri.mt.net>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EIDE controllers

At 17:00 1996-01-31 -0800, Gary Palmer wrote:
>Nate Williams wrote in message ID
><199601312229.PAA17481@rocky.sri.MT.net>:
>> > I'm looking for an EIDE controller which will work with FreeBSD and
>> > allow >>500MB drives to be used in a multi-OS boot situation. A
>> > Promise 2300+ card doesn't work :-(
>
>> Any IDE/EIDE controller will work, as *long* as you make sure FreeBSD's
>> root partition starts/end below the 512MB mark.
>

>BZZT
>
>The Promise 2300+ won't even allow the kernel to be loaded, no matter
>what options you enable/disable :-( It fails during the LOADING of the
>kernel, and FreeBSD doesn't get a look in :-(
>
>Gary

I have a Promise EIDE machine with a seagate 1G-HD that wont even begin
reading a perfect 2.1.0 boot disk. The disk has no problems on other
machines and dos boot disks works fine on the EIDE-machine. But Promise EIDE
and freebsd boot doesn't work for me. The machine just looks at the disk for
a millisecond and then hangs completely. No loading whatsoever.

I tried to get it to work, but I have given up. Fortunately my boss is a big
freebsd-fan, so I will soon have 1G-SCSI instead. However, if anyone finds
out anything about this, I'm still interested to know what was wrong.

Peter Olsson   pol@leissner.se