Date:      Sat, 29 Sep 2001 00:48:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com>
Cc:        kbstew99@hotmail.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking down libpng.so.4 package dependency

Andrew J Caines <A.J.Caines@halplant.com> types:
> > You can get a list of all the files in the ports tree that reference
> > png like so:
> > cd /usr/ports
> > find `pkg_info -aoq` -type f | xargs grep '[^.]png'
>
> This finds a few with direct dependencies, but it's a bit noisy and didn't
> give any clues.

You could try filtering things you know aren't interesting from the
noise. For instance, adding "| grep -v ^pkg-plist" would throw out the
obvious direct dependencies. Or send the original output to a file,
and start greping through that. However, you provided a pointer to a
better solution below.

> > If you find a file in a port that you haven't updated, you might try
> > updating that port, then rebuilding the galeon port.
>
> I think galeon itself, along with all but maybe one package, are built
> right, however the cascading dependencies are including that one thing (a
> .so I presume) which still links to libpng.so.4.
>
> By way of evidence:
>
> # ldd `which galeon-bin` | egrep png
>         libpng.so.5 => /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.5 (0x283d8000)
>         libpng.so.4 => not found (0x0)
>
> What a reall need is a treelike ldd output. From ldd(1)

Yup. Patches welcome :-); it looks like more than a one-evening hack.

For now, try this in bash:

for l in $(ldd -f %p\\n $(which galeon-bin))
    do
	echo $l:
	strings $l | grep libpng | sed 's/^/   /'
    done

Libraries that aren't found will generate ugly results from this....

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.