Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:54:59 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        billf@mu.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Mall now BSDCentral

In a message dated 07/09/2001 8:02:03 PM Eastern Daylight Time, billf@mu.org
writes:

> BSDi really did make an impact. Just because you fail to see one doesn't
mean
>  it didn't happen.  You might want to read the cvs-all mailing list. If
you'd
>  like, I can supply you with some procmail filters that will put all of the
>  commits of people who are/were supported by WC/BSDi/WRS into a folder
called
>  'direct-positive-result-of-bsdi-funding'.
>
>  I'm also unclear on how you have installed FreeBSD in the past few years,
>  please clarify:
>
>   [ ] purchased CD from BSDi
>   [ ] downloaded from ftp.freebsd.org (which BSDi was paying for)
>   [ ] downloaded from snapshot servers (partnership of USWest and WC/BSDi)
>   [ ] downloaded from FTP mirror (who got their data from ftp.freebsd.org..)
>   [ ] other (doesn't matter, the source that was used to generate the
>       binaries was stored on WC/BSDi equipment)

These mechanisms existed before without BSDi, so there was no "impact".
Actually, ftp downloads got a LOT slower after BSDi took over, so i consider
it a negative impact in that area.

They made little difference as far as public perception is concerned.
Obviously  you got some dollars from them, which is good for you.

BSDi wanted to put freebsd on the map, the same map as Linux. They failed.
Come to terms with it.