Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:40:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: comments on this change please.

> I would like to make the following change to syslogd and the syslog
> system.
> (better suggestions for names not withstanding)
> the aim is to get the logging fifo out of the
> root filesystem so that it can be made read-only.
>
> I have added some code to syslogd to help compatibilty
> by having it TRY make a symlink for /dev/log to /var/run/syslog.socket
> for those people who want BSDI  (or linux?) or older freeBSD
> binaries to work. In teh case of a read-only root fs, One would hope
> that whoever set it up would have made the symlink first.
>
> please comment.

Begging the Captain's pardon, but...

It seems to me that the correct thing is to move the FIFO to /var/run,
unconditionally.

It also seems to me that if the Linux binary compataility dependent
people wanted a /dev/log, they would be well advised to do:

	ln -s /var/run/syslog.socket /compat/linux/dev/log

And realize that the path lookup order for Linux binaries will make
this "just work".

The same goes for other platforms for which binary compatability is
an issue.

For read-only /, even if /compat is on /, it seems that you could
safely precreate these symlinks.

Finally, using this technique, there is no reason devfs has to support
symlinks itself... if the FreeBSD user wants to make links in /dev
(why?), then they can use unionfs.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org