Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 2008 23:32:02 -0400
From:      Jon Radel <jon@radel.com>
To:        lists <technical@halenet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh to remote machines using authorized keys

lists wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have the following situation which I am trying to get around
>
> I have a need to be able to ssh without_password using rsa keys to
> authenticate the ssh session.
> but when I type
> user prompt  $ ssh root@remote.machine I get  prompted for a password
> followed by the error above, which is "Permission denied
> (publickey,keyboard-interactive,hostbased)"
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get around this?   Is it possible?

Very possible to get around.  Make sure the private key for root on the
remote machine is available to the system user on the local machine and
then specify that file with the -i option to the ssh command.  What is
almost certainly happening is that your ssh command defaults to the
private key for system user which is not the same key as your root (your
e-mail isn't 100% clear to me as to whether you are using the same key
for the system user and root, but it appears you aren't).

If you're going to do that a lot, you can set a default in
~systemuser/.ssh/config to specify that all connections to root@remote
should default to using root's private key.

--Jon Radel
jon@radel.com