Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 2004 19:20:20 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Subject:   Re: Fixing Posix semaphores

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 18:34 -0500, David Schultz wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 13, 2004, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> > > I don't think that the spirit is to do what you suggest.
> > > I have always interpretted it to be a separate namespace.
> > > does the posix "mknod" definition mention how to make a semaphore?
> >
> > POSIX does not define or allow use of mknod to create a named semaphore.
> > Only sem_open() can create a named semaphore.  The "spirit", as
> > implemented in other OS', clearly indicates the use of file system
> > names, not the restricted 14-character name used by FreeBSD.  For
> > instance, Solaris uses file system names.
>
> Err, I'm pretty sure Solaris uses a separate namespace for
> semaphores, and I think Linux does the same.  That's not to say
> that I'm opposed to this idea.  However, the implementation you
> propose, while aesthetically pleasing, is likely to be much slower
> and take a good deal of effort.  Moreover, it doesn't seem that it
> would provide any significant additional functionality.

The Solaris documentation specifically says that sem_open uses file
system namespace.

The whole point of POSIX semaphores is that there are TWO different ways
to create semaphores.  sem_init() creates unnamed semaphores.  sem_open
creates named semaphores.  Therefore, you choose at creation time
whether you want speed or interoperability.  The speed penalty only
applies to creation/open.  Once you have the semaphore, the rest is the
same.

The whole point of having a file system name is to allow for unplanned
sharing in a complex way.  Using stupid 14-character names does not
allow for the use of sub-directories and sym-links and so on to really
take advantage of the complex name space.

Of course, if no one really wants to see this, then I guess I can just
hide over in my little corner since *I* want to see this happen.

/Joe