Date:      Mon, 28 Sep 1998 13:06:30 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Josh <josh2@marvin.albury.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tcpd - 8192K ??? From pagkage.

Josh wrote:

> Well, after some offlist conversations I have a red face.

	We've all been there, don't sweat it.

> tcpd from the package (8192 bytes) works OK if you have the
> hosts.allow and hosts.deny in /usr/local/etc  ;-)
> While this does not seem the "correct" place for these
> files, that is where they are expected to be. The man page
> says so as well :-(

	Gotta love those man pages. :) But seriously folks, /usr/local IS the
home for all of the "after market" software on a FreeBSD system, and
less universally, on most other BSD's as well. On Sys5 you'd look in
/opt/local (usually) for the same kind of stuff.

> I actually symlinked /etc/hosts.allow and .deny to
> /usr/local/etc/hosts.allow and .deny.

	I usually do that too, depending on the level of clue the other people
using the system have. :)  Another thing I do is to symlink
/usr/local/etc/ to /etc/local/. This gives me a little less to type, and
lets me back up all that stuff at the same time without having to think
about it. :)

Keep reading those man pages,

Doug