Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2012 16:25:01 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk>
Cc:        Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: virtio for 9.1-R

On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:49 PM, Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk> wrote:

> On 27/11/2012 19:25, Sergey Kandaurov wrote:
>> On 27 November 2012 22:12, Joe Holden <lists@rewt.org.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>=20
>>> I can't see virtio in releng/9.1, is there any particular reason why =
it
>>> isn't going to be included given that it works reasonable well (and =
is
>>> optional anyway, so not likely to be detrimental)?
>>=20
>> virtio appeared in stable/9 a bit after 9.1 cut off,
>> and it is too late now regardless of virtio shape.
>> Anyway you can installed it from ports.
>>=20
> Ah I see, doesn't really help all the people who can't install it in =
KVM and such though unfortunately, seems silly making them wait even
> longer and having to use Linux :)

FWIW, I installed FreeBSD 9-STABLE (pre-virtio in src) in KVM, initially =
using the emulated devices and then, post-install, installed the =
emulators/virtio-kmod port and switched over to vtbd/vtnet devices =
without problem.  When virtio appeared in src, I ditched the virtio-kmod =
port, again, without issues.

I found making the transition to virtio devices no harder than the ad -> =
ada device transition.

Cheers,

Paul.