Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 21:13:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   ports/7838: slurp port expects TMPDIR env var which doesn't exist

>Number:         7838
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       slurp port expects TMPDIR env var which doesn't exist
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT i386
>Environment:

	A -current system cvsup'ed last weekend with INN running.

	I tried to compile it which failed with a permission problem.
It said something like that it couldn't create /tmp.some.thing.more
which looks odd.

	Investigating the reason I found that the configure script in
the scripts subdirectory expects the environment variable TMPDIR to be
set before configuring.  Too bad my system (taken from -stable to
-current with a "make world" some time ago) doesn't define it by
default and that the port doesn't bother to set it to /tmp for me ...

>How-To-Repeat:

	Try to make slurp from the ports w/o defining TMPDIR anywhere.

>Fix:

	Let the makefile define TMPDIR if it is not set or use some
subdirectory of the port's work subdirectory as TMPDIR.