Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:32:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG

Yoriaki FUJIMORI writes:

 > I have been trying to compile LAM on FreeBSD4.2R with Linux emulator.
 > Compile itself went on very smoothly.  But, I soon noticed that some
 > of network related commands do not work properly.  For instance,
 > recon/lamboot etc.  These commands get hostnames via gethostbyname().
 > Somehow, they fail in detecting `localhost'.  They are looking at
 > /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf and so on properly, I hope.

So this is a native FreeBSD binary, or a Linux binary?
Can you ktrace it & see what's happening?

If it is a linux binary, I have an alpha/linux kdump at
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~gallatin/linux_kdump

 > Another experience I had is that clock() in a simple benchmark does
 > not work properly on the linuxemulator.  The benchmark itself runs
 > perfectly in native FreeBSD and native Linux/Alpha.

Can you provide me with sources and a Linux binary?

 > So, I have some questions about the subject.
 > (1) Has anyone got a similar experience before?
 > (2) Is there any good pointer for this problem in addition to `handbook'?
 >
 > # I am using the 4.2R stock linux module.

Some important linux/alpha abi functionality was missing from
4.2-RELEASE.  You might do better with a 4.3-BETA system.

Drew