Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 07:34:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Les Biffle <les@ns3.safety.net>
To:        geoffb@chuggalug.clues.com (Geoff Buckingham)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Conflict between Intel 82558/9 and VIA MVP4?

Hi Geoff,

> Excuse me if I have missed something obviouse ( I havn't had a lot to
> do with PC hardware recently.) Is your 'riser' a customer part of the
> board or something that just plugs into an existing PCI slot.  If the
> later I **ASSUME** (and may be wrong) that it is a PCI to PCI bridge
> itself.

It's an assembly provided by the manufacturer, and plugs perpendicularly
into two in-line edge connectors on the motherboard.  Those connectors
are the same type connector as PCI connectors, but have more signals on
them, making them non-standard.  The riser card has two PCI slots, an
ISA slot and a Realtek 8129B NIC on it, but no bridge chip.  Since the
two PCI-looking slots on the M/B are having to deliver the PCI signals,
ISA signals, and the request and grant signals for each PCI slot and
NIC, I must assume that neither is a "real" PCI slot, and dare not try a
NIC in one.

My "dream" riser would have a bridge for its slots, of course.

Or my dream teensy M/B would have 3 10/100 NICs and a single PCI slot.
Anybody know of one?

> Leading to the questions does the fxp work in the PCI slot without the
> riser?

The 3COM cyclone devices don't work in the riser either, leading me to
suspect a poor design by my supplier.  Slow NICs (the Realteks) and WAN
cards from Sangoma seem to work fine in either riser slot.

> Are others successfully using that PCI-PCI bridge with an fxp

When squeezed, the manufacturer admits that there might have been a trouble
report on this once upon a time.  They're sending a different M/B and riser
for us to try.

Regards,

-Les

--
Les Biffle            Community Service...  Just Say NO!
(480) 778-0177    les@safety.net  http://www.les.safety.net/